History of Hughson
Hughson was founded as a township in 1907. Prior to this, it consisted of the grain ranch owned by Hiram Hughson. He arrived in 1882, purchased 1,000 acres and gradually owned approximately 5,000 acres. The San Joaquin Railroad purchased land from Hughson for their tracks, and the station became known as the Hughson Stop.
In the surrounding areas new settlements began to spring up, such as Ceres and Denair. As a result, Hiram Hughson could demand a better price for his land. It was in 1907 that he placed his land in the hands of the Hughson Town Company, under the direction of Charles Flack and C.W. Minniear. John Tully, who owned a section of land to the south of Hughson, also opened up his land for settlement. It was then that the town of Hughson was born. Hughson remained a township until December 9th, 1972 when it was incorporated into a City.
The Hughson Historical Society has much more information about the City of Hughson’s history. Contact the Hughson Historical Society: